what is my Definition of New Media? To me New Media is a constantly changing field in which all are amerced without even realizing it. The field changes as a result of changing life, changing technology & forward thinking artists. New Media is an art form that can take the form of performance, installation, video, & virtually any other platform imaginable, & not only that but it can be displayed in any space from an industrial building to a street corner to a conventional gallery space.
Art really takes on a new form in New Media, the whole concept of a field that the artists are inventing allows for maximum creativity. It is something that is truly reinventing the definition of art, it is no longer something just to be viewed, but something to be experienced.
Really New Media is something that you can define today, but you can’t expect your definition to still be correct in a year, or even in a month or two. New Media is something that still needs to be invented.
- Lev Manovich, The Language of New Media
- Eleanor Heartney, Art & Today
- Roger Fidler, Mediamorphosis: Understanding New Media
- What’s “New” About New Media? http://whatsnewmedia.org/2008/01/30/a-question-for-you-whats-new-about-new-media/
- Rebuilding Media http://rebuildingmedia.corante.com/archives/2006/04/27/what_is_new_media.php
- New Media Art http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/articles/newmedia/
- What is New Media Art? http://www.rchoetzlein.com/theory/?p=11